Practical Python Projects book is now available! Learn how to implement 12 end-to-end projects to enhance your Python knowledge.
Hi everyone! 👋 I recently sat down with Justin Duke, an engineer at Stripe, and talked about tech, startups and time management. Along with a full-time job, Justin runs two startups (Buttondown, Spoonbill), manages two weekly newsletters, runs, and volunteers. Come learn about how he does it all!
This is the trial run of a podcast idea I have had for a while. I might continue recording similar interviews in the future. You can also listen to this episode on Spotify.
I asked Justin the following questions:
- Justin’s intro
- How do you manage time between all the different projects?
- How has stripe been so far and what are you currently working on?
- Why is it that most people I admire work at Stripe?
- Thoughts about learning the business side of things in order to be a better employee.
- Work-life balance at Stripe vs Amazon?
- Do you feel like you have a better work-life balance at Stripe compared to Amazon?
- Why work on Buttondown and Spoonbill?
- What is spoonbill and Buttondown?
- How did you get your first customer?
- Any resources you used to figure out how to price products?
- What is the target audience of Spoonbill?
- Why go the Open Startup route and share financials?
- Where do you want to take your startups? When will you stop working fulltime?
- No immediate plans to focus on Buttondown as full time job?
- Any major incidents that kept you awake at night while running your startup?
- How do you use more than 1 email service provider?
- Have your side projects opened any doors for you?
- How many people are using Buttondown?
- As a hacker, how do you divide time between features you like and features you need?
- Any advice for people planning on running a side project?
- Closing remarks
You can follow Justin on Twitter. If you have any questions/comments/feedback please let me know via Twitter, email or the comment box below. If you feel like I missed an important question, please let me know about that as well! ❤️